Friday, January 1, 2010

Up and running!

Success! I was finally able to make a working clock!

The peace clock was made of a wooden base (the exact type of wood is unknown, but it is hard wood). Then I painted it with Kilz, a stain blocker. I then painted it over with acrylic paints, added the letter tiles from my mosaic supplies along the outside, and got a long-stemmed quartz wall clock movement. I found that today at the craft store. I finally removed a piece of metal from inside the base (formerly used to hold up a standing doll) by fitting a screwdriver into the front and tapping it with a hammer. The back of the piece is pictured, where you can see the piece of metal to which I refer.

Once that was done, I carved a large enough hole for the movement stem to fit through. Then I added my own clock hands and put the AA battery in the back of the movement, and VOILA! A working clock!
I hope to paint over any areas that need it next, and possibly finish by covering the face with Mod Podge to seal it. I'll post pics as soon as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment